Monday 24 June 2013

The smug karate mum.

So my family and I have been training for a couple of years, His Lordship used to practice years ago but the spawns and I were total beginners. I have never been the most confident of people, behind a brash exterior is someone who battles with self consciousness and regular anxiety attacks. 

Karate has been one of the best things to ever happen to me, every time I train my confidence improves a little more and I feel a little better about myself. Last week I wasn't feeling too good and didn't train. His Lordship who has been having health problems over the last few months also didn't train but he helped out with the junior session. Now the mums on the side have always treated the junior session like a mothers' meeting in the local cafe and they like to have a natter, some are so loud it gave me a headache and last week I had to leave and get some painkillers. Over the last few weeks they've been really taking the piss and being quite loud... Not tonight!

Before the junior session started Hanshi (The 9th Dan who runs the dojo) gave a speech to be proud of! He gave the kids a good talking to about etiquette and what they need to be doing while training and then he laid down the law with the parents, in a nutshell 'shut the f**k up or be banned from watching!".

Bear in mind that I'm the only mum that trains after the kids have their session...

If I could have I'd have applauded him but in true karate student fashion I bowed with the other students. Then I sat down, looked at one of the mums next to me who knew exactly what I was thinking and then looked at the lady who signs everyone in and takes the fees, she gave me a wink and I grinned back. I looked over the other side of the room just in time to see a 'loud' mum give another 'loud' mum a look that said she'd had her nose seriously put out of joint.

I smirked to myself, took a swig of squash from my bottle and then I helped with the kids before going at it full pelt during the adults' session. 




No comments:

Post a Comment